Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hot Dogs for dinner?


Reid was back from Flordia on Friday night, so he gave me the day off on Sat. Amanda and I went to go see planet 51, and Reid took care of the rest of the kids and made dinner. So what was for dinner? Nitrate free hot dogs on a slice of whole wheat bread, and broccoli with cheese sauce.

Nitrate-free hot dogs- Reid found these at our regular grocery store. He even put them on the BBQ. I could only eat one bite, because the night before we watched the movie Food Inc. That movie will make you want to be a vegetarian. Good thing I didn't finish it! :) Click here to see my post on nitrates, and click here for another post on nitrate-free hot dogs.

Broccoli with Cheese Sauce- I think Reid makes his cheese sauce a little differently than I do, but the thing we do the same is make it from scratch. NO cheese whitz or velveeta. These are pasteurized process cheese products. They are not real cheese or real food.

2 Tablespoons butter
2 T flour
1 Cup of milk
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 t dried mustard
Salt and pepper

I am just making this recipe up. I never measure, so keep that in mind.

Melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk I think it works better if you heat up the milk before you add it. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add cheese, salt, pepper and mustard.


2 comments:

  1. Whenever I'm making cheese sauce from scratch I try not to let the milk boil. I heat it just before boiling. I always thought boiling it made it separate more. ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jewels, I think you are right. You should just heat it until it seems like it is thicker (the flour doing its work). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete