Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday Dinner- Turkey Meatloaf


I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make dinner, since I had a migraine earlier today. Thank goodness for medicine. Can you imagine what people did before it? I have been excited all week to make this turkey meatloaf. The only thing I would do different is make the onions smaller. Next time I will chopped them in my vitamix blender. You add some water, turn it on, and then drain the water off.

Low-fat Turkey Meatloaf-

1 medium onion- chopped fine
2 minced garlic cloves
1 t veg. oil
salt
1/2 milk or plain yogurt
2 large eggs
2 t minced fresh thyme leaves (I left this out)
2 t dijon mustard
2 t worcestershre sauce
1/4 t hot pepper sauce
1/2 t ground black pepper
2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey (I bought 1 pound ground turkey breast and 1 pound regular)
1 1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs (just throw some whole wheat bread in the toaster, and chop it up)
1/4 C minced fresh parsley leaves (I didn't have it, so I left it out)

For sauce

1/2 Cup ketchup
1/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons cider or white vinegar

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine onion, garlic, oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the onion has softened, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl whisk the milk, eggs, thyme, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, pepper, and 1/4 T salt together.
In a large bowl, mix the turkey, bread crumbs, parsley, cooked onion mixture, and egg mixture together with your hands until combined. Press mixture together forming a 9 x 6 inch rectangle that is 2 inches high. Place on rimmed baking sheet that is lined with foil. Mix ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar together. Put 1/2 of sauce on top of meatloaf and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, put the remaining sauce on top and cook for an additional 15 minutes.



Green salad with oranges, pinenuts and browned goat cheese

1 head of washed and chopped romaine lettuce
1 handful of pinenutes
3 ounces of goat cheese- brown in a fry pan until melted
1 small orange (I would use pear or craisins next time)

Balsamic dressing

3 T olive oil
1 1/2 t balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 t red wine vinegar
1/2 t salt



Petite Peas- From the freezer. There is one piece of advice that my Mom gave me before leaving for college (I am sure she said more than this, but this is all I can remember): "Remember that it is petite peas that you like, not regular." I had to ask her what she she was talking about. Petite peas are picked sooner. They are kinda like baby peas. They taste much sweeter. I bought the regular ones once, and my Mom was right; I only like the petite ones.

French Bread- store bought loaf

No comments:

Post a Comment