Here is a great way to get some omega-3's to your kids. Take a banana and cut it in half long ways, like a banana split. Then spread the inside with almond butter. Peanut butter works well too, but almond butter tastes better. Then drizzle a little honey on top.
Emily loves this snack.
Benefits of this snack
- Omega-3's in the almond butter
- Something sweet that is healthy
REMEMBER! When you buy peanut butter to check to see if it has ANY hydrogenated fats in it. Most peanut butters do! Hydrogenated fats are trans fats. Look for words in the ingredient list such as "partially hydrogenated soybean oil, or fully hydrogenated vegetable oil. Anything that has the word hydrogenated. Also beware because you can have a trans fat free product that still has partially hydrogenated fat in it. This is because if their is less than 1/2 gram/serving, they can say it is trans fat free.
- Hydrogenated fats can block your body from using the good essential fatty acids like omega-3 fatty acids
- Hydrogenated fats have to be processed by your liver because your body does not recognize it as a "fat", but rather as a non-food substance
- Hydrogenated fats increase the bad cholesterol (LDL) and decrease your good cholesterol (HDL).
- New York ban trans fats from their cafeterias and restaurants
- In animal studies, eating trans fat also promotes obesity and resistance to insulin, the precursor to diabetes.
- An analysis of the health effects of industrial trans fats conducted by researchers with the Harvard School of Public Health Department of Nutrition indicates that eliminating trans fats from the U.S. food supply could prevent up to 1 in 5 heart attacks and related deaths.