Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Twist on Fruit


I am not a huge fan of high-fructose corn syrup, so I usually do not buy fruit snacks. It is not just the high-fructose corn syrup, but also the taste. They taste like wax. The only nutrient they provide is vitamin C, and that is in only certain brands. I have been buying the fruit leathers that are just made from fruit. My kids like the fruit leathers, but they don't LOVE them.

I joined Amazon Prime (one fee and you get free 2 day shipping on anything you buy from Amazon) recently and came across Clif Kid Organic Twisted Fruit Real Fruit Rope. They got really good reviews from other Moms, so much so that I was convinced to buy them. I love them! They taste really good and they taste real, not waxy. The first ingredient is Organic Apple Puree which gives you 1 gram of fiber per serving. The rest of the ingredients is pretty much Juice Concentrate of one kind or another.

If I had to compare this to something else nutritionally, I would compare it to juice. It is sweet and sugary, but at least it comes from fruit. Each fruit rope has a serving of fruit in it. Juice is also consided a serving of fruit. I have told my kids they can have 2 a day, but I think I have eaten as much as them.

I am definitely buying these again so that they can go into my kids lunch boxes.

If you are wondering about Amazon Prime, you can click here to find out more information. I really do love it. It is a dream come true to not have to bring 5 kids into a store. Just yesterday I had Amanda pick out birthday presents for some birthdays she has this weekend. I did it while the babies were asleep, and I know that they will be here tomorrow. You can also click here to see what I said about it on my sister-in-laws kids blog.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about "fruit snacks" they aren't really fruit or a snack. Nasty.

    ReplyDelete