Friday, June 10, 2011

What is for dinner? Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos

This recipe is from my new cookbook that I got from my friend Casey for my birthday. All 5 of my kids ate it and liked it. One of them didn't eat much, but she says she liked it. It says that it takes 35 min to make and 30 min to bake, but I left out the baking part and it was a really fast meal with 1 pot, 1 pan, and a cutting board to clean up.


5 Cups peeled cubed sweet potatoes (this ended up being only 2 big ones)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons canola oil
3 1/2 cups diced onions (I did one large which was 2 cups)
4 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 Tablespoon minced fresh green chile (I left this out since I didn't have any)
4 teaspoons cumin
4 teaspoons coriander
4 1/5 Cups cooked black beans (three 15 ounce cans, drained)
2/3 Cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
8 eight inch flour tortillas
Fresh Salsa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or not)
Place the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with the salt and water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

While the sweet potatoes are cooking, warm the oil in a medium skillet or saucepan and add the onions, garlic and chile. Cover and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 7 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Ina food processor (I used my vitamix on a low setting), combine the black beans, cilantro, lemon juice, salt and cooked sweet potatoes and puree until smooth. Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a large mixing bowl and mix in the cooked onions and spices (I did this my pan that I cooked the onions in).

Option #1 Lightly oil a large baking dish. Spoon about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of the filling in the center of each tortilla, roll it up, and place it, seam side down, in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, until piping hot. Serve topped with salsa.

Option #2 Spoon about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of the filling in the center of each tortilla, roll it up, and place it, seam side down, on a microwavable plate. Put a bunch of shredded cheese on top and microwave for 1 minute, or until cheese is melted.

Top with fresh salsa

Each serving has 8 grams of fiber, 20 grams of protein, and about 550 calories.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Yum! Looks like a great option for meatless monday... love your recipes, Lisa! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete